Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My latest Passion

Until about 5 years ago, going on a plane was a novelty for me. I had done it only a few times then and cherished each flight. Now, it is a more a thing of routine.

In the last few weeks i have developed a passion for flying planes, thanks largely to my housemate who is a qualified pilot. Thanks again to him that he has a pilots joystick and the Microsoft Flight Simulator on his Lappy. He has been teaching me to fly and I am loving it.

I started off with a Cessna (proppelor driven) 2 seater aircraft. While taking off was quite easy, landing was the difficult bit. After a few crashes and some bad landings, i have started landing smoothly and the confidence in flying is really high. Although the Simulator is nothing more than a Simulator, i hear that the real thing is not very different, except for the fact that we are flying along too and life is at stake :D:D:D.

Chennai to Tambaram and back has been my regular route on my practice runs. After gaining confidence in handling the aircraft, I have taken off from various locations in the world including Melbourne and New York. At New york, i took off on an amphibious aircraft from the water and flew low under a bridge at about 200 ft, which is a manouvre I am proud of :D:D:D:D The other exciting thing i did was to fly at night and look for a runway and land safely!!!!

Yesterday we decided to do some landmark searching and I took off from Agra in search of the Taj Mahal. We flew alongside what we assumed to be the Yamuna but just couldnt spot anything like the Taj. Nevertheless it was a great experience.

A week or so ago, i dared to fly a Learjet and surprised myself with a great landing. The Jets are sooper fast in comparison to the Cessna and the handling was much much steadier.

Upping the ante, I am looking fwd to flying in bad weather and flying based on direction and communication from the ATC. I am getting there!!! When i have the time and the money I sure will fly a real plane!!! For now, Simulator rocks!!!!

If you wondered about why I havent blogged in a while, I have been busy flying over Melbourne or Chennai, or under a bridge in New York!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pramod,

Here's my T.R.Kavidhai,tried posting on o3,wont let me.Got your blogspot url from your melbourne post.Here goes....Take care bro!!

Idho parakkudhu planeu
en madi mela ukkandhirukka thenu
thangachi vettukku porom parandhu
en under-drawera vechutten marandhu!!!

Ensoy!