Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mid-Work Breaks

Smokers at any workplace have this unwritten or unsaid permission to go out of the building at frequent intervals to have a ciggie. While smoking the Ciggie itself is not the best thing to do, these frequent breaks have a lot of other advantages.

Smokers have this mutual affinity of bonding with each other quickly. The smoking area is a great place (not environmentally though) to meet and interact with a variety of people. I hear that this place is host to everything from gossip to some of the most important business decisions. Eureka moments also strike u while on these breaks.

These breaks enable us to get away from the computer for a while, get out into the natural environment and breathe some fresh air, get some Vitamin K on us and also get to see something green and cool to soothe the eyes. These breaks also help in breaking the monotany at work and provides a channel for relaxation.

Contrary to common belief, these benefits are not a result of the habit of smoking, but are the benefits of taking breaks from work at regular intervals. I have become a fan of such breaks. I just walked out of the office and it felt great to breathe in some fresh air and see things green and far. I stayed away from the smokers zone for obvious reasons, but then found no one else like me for company downstairs. Thats not gonna stop me from taking these breaks, cause I enjoy the benefits of it, even though I do it all alone!!!!!

Note : Reproduced from my other blog at http://o3.indiatimes.com/rpramod

2 comments:

Gussa Waala said...

Yep, I used to reap teh benefits of these smoke breaks. I quit the habbit many years ago. Luckily that coincided with smoking becoming a very evil habbit in the US. So I have not really suffered the loss of those informal meetings. Online gaming seems to be replacing the smoking bonding.

Pramod said...

Gussa Waala : Welcome to Pramod Online. Its good u've ;et go of smoking. The breaks can be a lot better sans the smoke. Gaming I hear is addictive and people are crazy about it!!!!